Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shiloh• 4 month Shih-tzu mix that had a blast in Board & Train



This is work? What a pleasure for me to spend time training this delightful Shih-tzu mix in board and train. Shiloh is a little over little over 4.5 months. In the first week we worked on basic commands, sit, down, watch (eye contact), heel, off & take it(starts with food held in hand, then progresses to food on my toy between her front feet. She will get it but must wait for each piece and for me to say , "take it." Once she understands the concept of "off" it applies to whatever I want her to leave alone and even eventually counter surfing, which will not be easy for Shiloh). I also include a "sit" in motion, which if practiced and a dog will not come, you just say, "sit" then walk over and pick them up. In group class we work on "down" in motion which can be used the same manner.


The first week we bond as I introduce the game of obedience in the Canine College. After this I introduce new things and try to use the tools we've developed to gently guide her in new situations. This is called perfecting. I have a stimulating food preparation area with food on tables, a washer, a dryer, a compressor and even dogs going on walks. I have a courtyard full of barking dogs and a retail store, a grooming facility, a Young at Heart cat shelter and even birds and small animals in our lobby area. Distractions? I have 6 acres to practice on and a block from a busy street.


Mom was quite impressed with the progress I had made and how happy Shiloh was while she worked with me. I'm a motivational trainer and my goal is to get the dogs working with their heads up, tail waggin' and as much eye contact as possible. My best reference is a dog that has spent time with me. When they see me they can't wait to get a chance to make me happy. I don't just give them food, I ask them to do things for me then I praise them for doing what I've asked. Thanks and hope to see Shiloh in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Pflash