Friday, February 5, 2010

Oliver K. • 4 month Yorkie mix Cutest Pup


Oliver and his mom came in to have a private lesson with me. Mom watched how good I was and realized it would be easier for her and better for Oliver to spend some time with me to work on beginning obedience. Board & Train is like building a car. I know from teaching group class that not everyone has the timing, patience, or coordination to be consistent while training a dog. In board & train I build the car and when you pick up we schedule an included outgoing session when I'll teach you how to drive. I know that if you practice the dog will follow you as well as me. Although clients often join the group class, continue with privates all over our site or are just welcome to come into the store and practice. It's the repetitions that convince the dog he's following you. Our dogs deserve and need us to spend some time with them. Some dogs are always testing and a few minutes a day can make a world of difference.

This little 4 month Yorkie mix just spent 2 weeks in outgoing Board & Train with me at Best Friends pet Motel. For 2 weeks his days were here and he went home at night. He came in with mom in a carrier because he was afraid to walk on a leash. He was picked up too much and needed to see the world from the ground. I encouraged him to walk on a leash although was he was quite shy. Daily I would watch him come out of the into the world. At first in the Canine College we would have fun and bond as he learned the elements of foundation obedience. Sit, down, stat, watch (make eye contact-I don't think our dogs or kids are paying attention unless they are looking at us while we talk). I also teach, off & take it, with food which eventually applies to a toy or even touching us with their paw or mouth. At first room noises would distract him but while focused on me he had nothing to worry about. Eventually the heaters and outside noises bothered him less and less.

I began to see the terrier come out. Now he has gone from a shy observer to to a vocal and willing participant with every person and dog that he sees. Now is when we begin using the bond through obedience we have created to help guide him to be what we want him to be. Oliver is no couch potato and needs to be taught how to act in social situations. I compare barking to kids swearing as people walk past, the adult needs to tell the young how to appropriately act. Sometimes it is not the size of the dog on the outside but the size of the dog on the inside. I see behavior not the size of the dog. It is not cute. When we control the way introductions take place there are fewer problems. We need to observe the body language of our dogs so that bad behavior can be dealt with while it is just a thought and certainly before they initiate an action. Group class is a place to practice letting our dogs know we intend to be consistent with monitoring their behavior.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Pflash