Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bustin' some moves with Boomer K.

Without corrections how can you get your dog to pay better attention to the handler.  Easy, bust some moves that require him to pay attention.  Often in my group class the dogs are either going too fast or too wide and if the handlers are not vigilant the dog will have a larger space to assume is correct.  Some dogs are so far out of what I would consider is the correct position caused by lenient handlers that the dog will either be too far in front to turn left without bumping his ribs or too far behind to stay on the left as you turn to the right.
Here we are in an isle.  I start with a right 180° followed by a quick 180° or 360° to the left.  As I do this the dog stays closer and in the correct position and has some fun as we are working together.  I give him a job then tell him how well he is doing and he just loves to make the leader happy. 
Now here we are in an even narrower isle.  Again some right about turns followed by a quick left or even 2 German or Schutzhund about turns back to back.  Instead of the dog moving with me and staying on my left I turn left and Boomer goes around to the right we end up making a circle with me in the middle going in opposite directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Pflash