Thursday, August 5, 2010

Boomer K. and Allan do a pattern in the lobby

This is Boomer K. a big male Labrador Retriever about 4.5 years old in a week of board and train. I observed his Mom bring him to the hotel a week ago. I watched him drag her to the potty field and bully through the door. She was afraid he would bark aggressively towards other dogs.


I worked with his Dad, Chris, today and showed him how to patiently work on a Meet & Greet exercise and only let Boomer greet when he sits. It took a while when this overexcited dog saw his dad but patiently Boomer got to interact but the rule is that he must stay sitting and no touching with the mouth or feet. Then I showed Chris how to go through doors and get into Boomer's head just who is following whom. I then demonstrated to Chris how I do this obedience pattern. Finally it is Chris' turn to work with Boomer. I'm confident that with practice Boomer can work as well with Chris as you see Boomer work with me. He has some issues with other dogs but with us in the lead he can be good. The best place to practice is in an intermediate group class around other dogs. I would love to have a session with his Mom to prepare her to work with the group. I'll be there to help and guide them through the class. Hope to see you on Tuesday at 7 p.m. or Saturday at 10 a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Pflash