Sunday, August 29, 2010

Most people would avoid a day like this................ Not me, I embrace it !

Bear A. is an old friend of mine.  He is a German Shepherd that is about 14 months old.  He can do obedience pretty well with me and his owners.  With his family he he can be difficult when he is around dogs.  We started in his room, then his wing, before we even made it to food preparation practicing obedience.  There was an American Bulldog being picked up with an attendant and his owner.  We practiced heeling and then a long sit watching the trio leave following the dog.  I decided to give Bear a potty opportunity which comes after a sit at the field then with command he was productive.  With dominant dogs the world is not their toilet and I only let them go when and where I say.  I always have dogs sit and make eye contact before going into any new area.  I never follow entering a room or heading outside.  Walk slow and practice long sits.  Make the impatient dog learn to wait for you.  APDT Rally Obedience has a sign that says  Halt, SIT 1,2,3,steps.  What you are supposed to do is halt and sit, take 1 step forward and sit, then 2 steps and sit , then 3 steps and sit.  Boring but also a good way to convey who is following whom.

I decide to practice on the street in front of Best Friends, Pet Lane and work towards Aptkisic Road.  On the way we passed a residence on the premises that happened to have 3 Australian Shepherds acting very territorially at the 4 foot fence. 
At first I did some heeling to get Bear working with me.  Then I had him do a long sit watching the barking dogs.  After a while the Aussies got no feedback got bored and walked away.  Chalk up a win for Allan and Bear. Lets head for the road.  Guess what Bear is stimulated by cars and trucks

Here we are after working on Pet Lane towards the cars, we are now on Aptkisic working next to the cars on both sides of the street and on the island in the middle. Good job Bear.  On the way back why not practice walking by barking dogs. 


Not bad and Bear walks and turns without corrections. What an excellent place to be able to have areas to practice problem solving.  Lets go to the lobby.


I embrace distractions as an opportunity to do problem solving.  We practice and bond in quiet areas then perfect with distractions.  I use distance at first.  There is more praise and fewer corrections but being a trainer I always target distractions and with practice and patience almost all problems can be resolved.  I am as stubborn and tenacious as any dog I work.  The more excited they get the calmer I must be to help guide them through their issues.  After Board and Train it would be great for his family to work Bear in one of my group obedience classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Pflash